Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Thoughts on Motherhood





Lately, I have been really thinking about my role as a mother. Ever since I was little, I knew I wanted to be a mom. This dream today isn't always the popular choice in the world. Growing up in Utah LDS culture however, this wasn't ever weird. I was raised with the belief that being a mother is the greatest role that you will ever have. This is something that I honestly believe for myself. In our society today, many value their life style or their career over children. That is everyones right and choice. Some never had a choice and struggle with infertility. I have many friends and family members who I love very much who have struggled with this. Its heartbreaking and can be a huge trial of faith! 



"Being a mother is learning about the strengths you didn't know had, and dealing with fears you didn't know existed." Nishan Panwar

Motherhood in itself is not for the faint of heart. It can be frustrating, challenging, and tiring. To tell you a little about my story, I am a working mom. I teach 8th grade health at a title one Jr. High. At work, I feel like I am often playing a mom role to those students who don't really have that support. That can be heart wrenching as I hear about the backgrounds and struggles that my students go through. At home, my son is almost 21 months old. He is learning how to talk and can get frustrated when he doesn't know how to communicate. He hates being in his carseat during our 45 minute commute to his babysitter and my school and tends to cry a lot of the time.. He doesn't quite know when things are dangerous and is starting to tell me NO. All of these things can test my patience and frustrate me. There are times that I feel like a terrible mom. During those times I feel like I don't have enough patience or that I should have dinner done every night. I get frustrated when I more often than not have a sink full of dishes and piles of laundry to do. It all adds up and can be hard.  I have also gotten the feeling with talking to people in the past that because I work out of the home that I don't care about my son. It kills me when I hear anything like that. My son is by biggest priority. It kills me to have to leave him every day but at this point in our lives we are not able to have me stay home. And that is okay! My son is in a safe environment and is well taken care of and loved. 

I don't want you to think that being a mom is all bad or that I think that! I LOVE my son more than I could have ever imagined. He is the best part of my day! I love his sweet smile. He has such a sweet, kind spirit. He loves when I play with him without any other distractions. I would do anything for him. Though I might get frustrated, he quickly makes that frustration go away. I love that he is starting to talk and communicate with me. He always takes my hand to lead me where he wants to go. My heart still melts when he says mama. I could never imagine my life without him!

       "There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has        different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children." M Russle Ballard

This quote is so true. We can't compare ourselves to other mothers, especially to what we see on social media. Everyone is different and there is no one way that we are ever going to be a perfect mother. Judging mother's for their decisions and parenting styles is in no way our responsibility. Mom shaming is completely uncalled for. There are so many times that I look through social media and land on a post that has so many judgmental comments. I think about how I would feel if those comments were on my posts. We should be supporting and lifting each other up! WE don't know what someone might be going through. Why make their day worse because in your opinion they aren't using the correct diapers, feeding their kids organic food, or they aren't disciplining correctly! We all have struggles and put downs just make everything worse! 


"I think we moms should pledge to never judge one another. We are all trying to desperately do this mothering thing right. " Lysa Terkeurst 


Shout out to all you moms out there working hard to take care of your kids and everything else that you do! You are doing so much better than you know! For all of you struggling with infertility, I won't pretend to know what you are going through but I love you and pray for you! For all of those that choose not to be mothers, I have nothing against you! That is your choice and I respect that choice! 

If you have made it this far, thanks so much for sticking around :) 
I'll end sharing my absolute favorite quote that always brings me peace and hope.




Have a wonderful Wednesday!

P.S. I have to shout out to my hubs who always is so supportive and willing to lighten my load. He reminds me that i'm always doing so much better than I think I am! 


xx

7 comments :

  1. Love this post! It's so true - no one lifestyle will work for every family, I honestly don't know how people can make it on one income these days (seriously, HOW DO THEY DO IT?!). Your son will remember when he's grown that you worked so hard to help provide for his physical needs while meeting all of his other needs. You go, mama. I only have to leave him for work 1-2 every week and those days are so hard for me, so I have all the respect and sympathy in the world for full-time working moms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are so sweet. Its true, I don't know how people live off one income!! Someday I hope to be able to stay home, but right now we are making this work! It is so hard to leave but someday it will be worth it :) xx

      Delete
  2. I am basically home with my kids, all day everyday. I struggle with not having very much adult interaction during the day, so if it's not one thing it is another. No matter our situation, if we are trying to do our best we are enough.
    I love that quote from elder Holland. I think I need to print it and hang it up as a reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That can be hard! It is a trade off, either situation has its struggles and hardships! You are amazing though! I love your little kids :) I need to print it to!

      Delete
  3. I loved this post! You are amazing, and I love your photos. So light and airy and gorgeous. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This broke my heart! I never realize how much of a blessing it is to stay home when some moms would kill for it! You are doing such great work at your job and with your cute little guy! Such a good reminder that not everyone situation is the right one and we're all trying to do our best!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and all your sweet comments! I appreciate all of them so much! Xo

Blog Design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016